Do you want to set up your own router with AT&T fibers? If yes, then you can keep reading this guide. Well, before you proceed, note some important points.
AT&T uses ONT and BWG 320 to provide internet access to a user. So, if you’re going to use your device on the AT&T network, you will have to pass through the network gateway successfully. Otherwise, you could not access the network. AT&T allows you to use your modem alongside its modem. However, it will charge you the fee to provide the internet.
Users only wish to switch to third-party routers to extend network coverage, have good internet speed, and monitor the router network. So, if you also want to set up your third-party router with AT&T fiber, so many good options are available in the market.
Why use your own router with AT&T fiber?
Sometimes users have reported the issue of less coverage area with the AT&T router. So, to eliminate this issue, you can add your router behind the AT&T router to have full internet coverage in your house or office. However, there is no way that you can eliminate the need for AT&T’s ISP router unless you are a hacker. Adding another router to the network can improve the complete performance of the network.
So these are the steps you can follow to set up your router-
- Firstly if your AT&T gateway is connected to any other router, then unplug the setup and turn the gateway off. After that, turn the gateway on.
- Then, you need an ethernet cable to connect the AT&T gateway and your router.
- Power on your router and then locate the ethernet port on the router.
- After that, insert one end of the ethernet cable on the gateway’s ethernet port and another end in the router’s ethernet port. Wait for 20 to 30 seconds to connect.
If this method doesn’t work for you, then you have to go for the IP passthrough method.
Some of the most popular options to use alongside AT&T’s ISP router are Netgear extender, Netgear nighthawk router, and Flash router. You can choose any one of these router options at your convenience and budget.
IP passthrough method-
You can connect your router to the AT&T gateway device with the help of Bridge Mode or IP passthrough. But because internet architecture does not allow for bridge mode, the IP passthrough method is more suitable and popular.
You can configure your router with AT&T as you desire, but AT&T will still have access to its equipment. Also, IP passthrough configuration will only allow one device to connect. This means you cannot create multiple pingable connections.
- The IP passthrough feature allows a single device on the LAN to have AT&T gateways’ public addresses. So, your device can securely connect over the internet.
- It also provides the PAT and NAPT address translations for the connected device.
- Also, it can assign and reuse the public WAN IP.
Configuring the IP Passthrough- Before you proceed with the settings, make sure to create a copy of all of the current IP settings.
- Firstly run a web browser application on your device connected to the AT&T gateway.
- Then, enter http://192.168.1.254 in the search box.
- Lastly, click the IP Passthrough
- Now, you can configure the Application Mode, Passthrough Mode, Passthrough Fixed MAC address, and Passthrough DHCP lease settings as per your desire to connect your device.
The IP passthrough method has its own restrictions, but this method works fine for almost every device. So, if you want to connect your router device to use the AT&T fiber network, it is a good option.
We can enhance your experience with the AT&T mail service. Check our page for any AT&T Troubleshooting steps with the issues such as failed login, corrupted set up on an email client, incorrect server settings, etc.